“Let’s Celebrate EARTH!!!”: Recreation Center Offers Class for Kids!

I jumped for joy the day I found out this class was being offered at the North Riverside Recreation Center!

• It was the last day of another class my kids were enrolled in and I wanted to find another one they would enjoy.
  • It covers the age range my kids are in right now: 3-6 years old.
  • The schedule worked well with other commitments we already have planned.
  • The cost! At $18 per child for six classes (one hour each), that is only $3 per class per child!
  • Last but not least, the topic is one that is very important to me and want to instill in my children as well.

Class Description: "Come join us for six classes of Ecological fun! We will be learning to love the Earth by engaging in activities about recycling, plants, animals and other topics."

Some people say "you get what you pay for". As far as I'm concerned, my kids and I got that and so much more! The value of the lessons alone made this class worth the money. However, the kids also made some really great crafts to help reinforce what they learned. Supplies were included in the cost!

These have pins on the back so the kids can wear them.

These are "Litter Bugs".

Reusable Totes the kids painted themselves.

Rain Sticks (description coming soon)

The Kids with Miss Kate, the Teacher!

The last day of class is this Friday, April 20th. I know there is at least one more craft project to add, which they made today. As soon as I have a photo of it, I will update the post.

Reader Poll: What are you and your family planning to do to celebrate Earth Day? I would love to hear some of your ideas!

Disclosure: I received no compensation for this post.

Comments

1. Amazing post. Thanks for posting this.

2. We are making snacks for the birds out of toilet paper rolls, peanut butter and bird seed.  We're also going to pot plants and give them to the neighbors as May Day baskets on May Day.

3. I haven't thought about crafting for Earth Day yet. The rainstick idea looks fun and I have some extra paper towel rolls hanging around here also! πŸ™‚

• MatterofCents says:

There are so many things you can do to celebrate Earth Day: plant a tree, walk instead of drive, reuse and recycle, etc. πŸ™‚

4. I hadn't actually thought aboutt celebrating Earth Day, but since we do talk to the kids about recycling and littering and all that, it's a good idea!

• MatterofCents says:

I would love to know what you decided to do with your kids. The other thing they did in class, which I still need to add to the post, is plant something. They are really excited to bring it home tomorrow. My oldest said he is going to give it to me as a gift for my birthday (which is Saturday). πŸ™‚

5. Wow, this looks fun. I don't have kids, but I am going to tell my sister.  Sounds like something she would love to take my niece and nephew to!

• MatterofCents says:

The kids love the class. You should have your sister see if her local Recreation Dept offers something similar. πŸ™‚

6. What adorable crafts!!! I bet your kids made life long memories to on top of learning!

• MatterofCents says:

Definitely! I try to enroll them in stuff at the Rec Center that is both fun and educational. They love talking about it afterwards and I like that they can be in some of the classes together.

7. I will be celebrating at a local event for the Great Cloth Diaper Change, and The Green Parent Show!
    Looking forward to a fun filled weekend

• MatterofCents says:

That sounds like fun! I just found out that the zoo, which is about a mile from where I live, is having a party on Sunday! I’m hoping we can make it a family event and head over there for at least an hour.

8. This is adorable!  And close to home–I'm in Palos Hills, IL!  For Earth day here we are making bird feeders out paper towel and toliet paper tubes.  We roll them first in peanut butter, then bird seed.  You can then slide them onto tree branches and let the wildlife feast!  πŸ™‚  Thanks for sharing!

• MatterofCents says:

I love this bird feeder idea! I am going to start saving our toilet paper and paper tower rolls so my kids and I can do that too!

9. i make a lot of those with my pre-k class

10. Hopefully the rain will hold off for some planting in the garden.

11.
    That sounds awesome. I hope these type of classes become a trend here in IL.

We planted "surprise" seeds in a pot that we got free from a local nursery.

12. Those look like fun classes! I always check for kids classes at my local rec center- they're usually inexpensive and give the kids a good experience. We have a free local Earth Fair we'll be going to for Earth Day that I'm excited to take my kiddos to.

13. $18 is actually a pretty great price.  If you were going to send them to a movie, it would cost almost that much per person, and they wouldn't have had a chance to make all those great crafts!  I love rain sticks, and those litter bugs are a cute idea!

Not sure what we're doing for Earth Day.  Bubbles is still a little young to really get the concept, but maybe we'll go to the zoo to celebrate!

• MatterofCents says:

The zoo is a great idea! The one by me is having a party to celebrate Earth Day on Sunday. I’m hoping I can go with the kids. πŸ™‚

14.
    How Cute! These are some neat arts and crafts and they teach a good lesson too

15. that looks like a ton of fun and great crafts they did!

Trackbacks

1. […] I enrolled them in a Let's Celebrate Earth class offered by my town's Recreation Center. Click here to check out the awesome crafts they made!In the meantime, here are a few great pins I found on […]